Blue City Solutions ("blue") is the global smart city coalition of coalitions that will help improve people's lives in cities by testing, sharing and implementing the best scalable, replicable and interoperable solutions.
Blue strives for ecologically, economically and socially sustainable smart city solutions.
Long before implementation, the core of the Blue approach is to first weigh the political, commercial and technical aspects which are required to facilitate mass adoption.
This will happen in succession during Round Tables (initially thematically and next geographically organized with city representatives and their utilities, sometimes aided by research institutes), development groups (in which solution providers join) and Living Labs (test beds and pilot areas). This way all stakeholders from conception to implementation will be joined in the projects.
The primary areas of attention are sustainable energy, electric mobility, broadband and cyber security. The primate will always be the demand of the cities and not the supply side (solution providers).
Blue increases the visibility, scalability and adoption of the best Smart City solutions for cities through its Marketplace, Events and Living Labs.
An example: smart mobility
In the Netherlands, the strategy of a collective footing has led to a standardized, interoperable and brand independent infrastructure for electric vehicles. Dutch utilities cooperated with solution providers to create a standardized electric charging infrastructure for all electric car brands with an open business model for operators of charging stations.
What about the government?
The central government’s role was limited to creating the right conditions. Clean air political agendas resulted in tax breaks and providing specific parking space for electric vehicles locally.
Implementing smart city solutions, smart application of modern technology combined with physical infrastructure, should lead to cost reductions and improvement of public services, thus resulting in a higher standard of living.
The smart mobility case has become a model operating process that Blue aims to replicate across other industries.
Blue is more than green
Blue identifies the best solutions for cities’ needs, organizes independent testing of interoperable, replicable and scalable solutions and helps cities with implementation.
Key facts about Blue:
- A non-political internationally operating non profit
- Open to citizens, cities and enterprises
- Focused on the creation of open platforms with accessible data
- A network organization, which enables specialists with specific competencies
- Flexible work force with individual consultancy contracts per project
- Independent governance without ties to stakeholders, an advisory board of representatives of cities, utilities, solution providers and knowledge institutions
- From the start active in Europe (Netherlands), Asia (Singapore) and the United States
- Collaborates closely with city coalitions such as GSC3, C40, 100RCs etc.